Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Letter I Received from Senator Al Frankin about Repealing DOMA

January 5, 2012

Dear Justin,

Thank you for contacting me about the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). I appreciate hearing from you on this critical issue.
DOMA, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Clinton in 1996, excludes same-sex couples from marriage and allows states to refuse to recognize legal same-sex marriages from other states. This law discriminates against same-sex couples in committed, long-term relationships.
Several federal courts have recently ruled that DOMA is unconstitutional. Further, the Department of Justice has recently announced that it will no longer defend DOMA in court.
As you may know, I have long supported equal rights for all Americans, regardless of race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation. For this reason, I am a proud cosponsor of S. 598, the Respect for Marriage Act, which would repeal DOMA and allow the federal government to recognize legal same-sex marriages.
This bill is just one of many steps in ensuring same-sex individuals and couples enjoy the same rights as other Americans. I look forward to working with my colleagues on this and other initiatives that will further that goal.
Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to do so in the future on this or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment